21 December 2017

of journals and other cheesy things

READING- Brothers Karamazov. I am in love with Alyosha.
DOING- intermittent fasting because I've always been a health nut and info on i.f. is so good to know. This documentary is so informative and it's just amazing that our bodies are perfect, in a way. Also brings new light to things like Jesus' 40 day fast.
PLANNING- my life after graduation in May (eep!). I'm hoping to be a teacher at a Catholic school near home before going to grad school. Prayers welcome!
WORKING- on small photography jobs for friends. (I have a new website!) It is wonderful to do something that is fulfilling but also brings home some bacon.
LEARNING- more about the 5 Love Languages because it is fascinating and, in a way, necessary. I think there is some virtue to it, especially if you apply it well. I don't think it's just another "way out there" philosophy. Also, I'm an ESFJ so...
CELEBRATING- because EVERYONE'S GETTIN MARRIED!!!  How beautiful it's been to see my best friends date, become closer, and now plan their futures together. 
REALIZING- that I'm starting to dress like my mom more and more each day (not that it's a bad thing). Who else thinks these shoes are cute?
PRAYING- for the end of the Thomas fire that started 1/2 mile near my school two and half weeks ago and still continues to blaze. All students evacuated Monday night; first semester was cancelled and I was home for break two weeks early with a few friends to stay the week. Finals have been postponed till next semester but there has been so much craziness since then. Thankfully, the firefighters and some leaders of the College held their ground and our school is still standing. It is a miracle! St. Florian, pray for us.


///

The last time I left you, I was bracing myself for a crazy semester ahead of me. As always, God is good and I was able to keep up with everything. I didn't miss a day of work, and I formed a wonderful relationship with the family whose kids I babysat every day. Next semester, I'll be back at a more manageable 6 hour work week, so I'll have more time to work on my senior thesis.

Sometimes I flip through my journal to find inspiration for posts. It's always interesting comparing the beginning and last entries of my journal because they are so vastly different. Starting a new journal is so curious; you know that in a few months, all the pages will be filled. But with what? What memories will need to be jogged down? What late night's experience will have to be remembered? What new heart wrenching realization will need to be expressed? And I smile as I flip to the end of the book; never in a million years would I have thought that some of the things recorded would have ever happened.

I come back to this place every few months and chronicle what's been on my mind lately. It's been an on-going project for seven years, and I don't think I'll give it up anytime soon-- even though sometimes my posts are few and far between (hey, I've been better this year, eh?). It's a project that necessitates recollection, thought, and gratitude. But especially for that latter reason, I think this blogging business of mine is worthwhile. I think it would be a stretch to say blogging is for me an act of gratitude, but I guess you could say blogging is a way to get back in touch with reality, no matter how hard life's been. To see that, actually, yeah, it's ok because of all these other reasons I've stumbled across in the process of writing. Does that make sense?

Our Christmas tree is up. I'm at home with family. Just recently I started dating again. There is a fullness in my heart that I've been waiting for. My six-year-old sister (who was TWO YEARS OLD when I left for College) has grown up and become such a ham. We all love watching her.

So, what's new with you?

In case I don't get back to you soon, have a blessed rest of your Advent and merry Christmas! Christ be with you. You all are lovely.

-sami xo

5 comments:

  1. that last picture is so so lovely samantha!!
    eee i love your posts xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. ugh I have so much to say so let me try to condense it as much as possible...

    Brothers Karamazov. one of my favorite books EVER. unbelievably good.

    I've heard so many positive things about intermittent fasting and I want to try it.

    SO excited for your future of photography and teaching. I'm always so impressed by how you take things that seem like they *should* be very mundane and ordinary, like a surface covered with little odds and ends, and bring out the "nothing is really ordinary" behind them.

    hopefully your new work after graduation leaves a little room on the side for blogging. ;) your posts are always so heart-refreshing. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm further along now, and Bros. K is amazing!! I'm enjoying it much more than War and Peace. Maybe the characters are easier to keep track of, but I think there is something to the sheer genius of the plot and the natural development of the characters along the way. Just brilliant.

      Wow, thank you!! I'm practicing... The dream is to have a big-enough, small side job when I'm married and staying at home with the kids for some extra income.

      That is the plan! I love this little space and the people it allows me to connect with. God bless! <3

      Delete
    2. I enjoy Tolstoy, in an "it's entertaining" way, but I feel CHANGED when I read Dostoyevsky. he tells the human experience as it is, raw and unfiltered. I feel like reading him helped me actually face up to some of the darker but real parts of myself and at least take a first step towards becoming a better Christian and a better person.

      Delete

Your comments make my day. ♥